These chorizo breakfast burritos are the best way to have a filling meal on the go. Loaded with sausage, scrambled eggs, and cheddar cheese, these protein-packed wraps will have you jumping out of bed.
These breakfast burritos are crispy on the outside and stuffed full of scrambled eggs. Topped with cheddar cheese, softly scrambled eggs and creamy avocado, this super tasty dish of ours will help start your day off on just the right foot. Of all our favorite breakfast burrito recipes, this is the one we keep coming back to.
They’re easy to make on lazy mornings and can be made in a batch so you can freeze and reheat to save time on busy mornings.
- It’s important to warm the tortillas before applying the filling so that it’s easier to wrap. Fortunately, it only needs about 30 seconds on each side at a low heat so is easy to do. Make sure it stays soft and doesn’t turn crispy, otherwise it’ll be impossible to fold around your burrito filling.
- To ensure every ingredient is in nearly every bite, aim to layer the toppings on top of one another, like placing sheets and blankets on a mattress.
- 4 wheat tortillas
- 8 oz Spanish or Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed and cut into rough chunks
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup white onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 cups salsa
- kosher salt, to season
- Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until onions start to brown. Add chorizo chunks and bell pepper. Cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs well. Add to chorizo and onions. Cook for 2-3 minutes until eggs start to set. Turn the mixture over and break up with a spatula. Cook for 3-4 minutes until eggs have cooked through.
- While the eggs cook, warm up a fresh dry skillet to medium-low heat. Heat the tortillas individually, 30 seconds per side. Ensure the tortilla stays soft and doesn't turn crispy.
- Serve the cooked chorizo and egg filling into one half of each tortilla. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced avocado, and salsa.
- Fold the burrito by bringing up the edges around the filling, and use the edge closest to you to roll the burrito into a tight cylinder, making sure you don't tear the tortilla.
- Cut in half to serve immediately, or roll in foil to take away.
Additional Filling Ideas
- refried black beans
- salsa verde
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 737Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 251mgSodium: 2091mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 14gSugar: 9gProtein: 32g