These teriyaki chicken lettuce wraps are the perfect quick lunch or weeknight dinner recipe. Made with pan-fried shredded chicken and homemade teriyaki sauce, this sweet and tangy filling is held in beautiful lettuce cups for a light finish.
Teriyaki chicken lettuce wraps are a great fuss-free and quick dish for when you’re running low and energy and short on time. Taking only 20 minutes from start to finish, they’re perfect for busy evenings or when you’re cooking for a crowd.
The romaine lettuce cups provide a low-carb alternative to regular tortilla wraps. At the same time, the protein-packed filling offers plenty of flavor with our homemade teriyaki sauce and added red chili garnish. Find out how to make these lettuce wraps from scratch with our easy walkthrough guide and recipe.
These are the simple ingredients we’ll be working with, as well as some quick substitutions for special diets or emergencies.
Chicken breast is the easiest cut to work with, particularly if you get boneless and skinless. However, if you don’t mind spending a bit more time on meal prep, you can also use chicken thighs. While you will need to separate the meat from the bone yourself, the dark meat and higher fat content on thighs makes chicken thighs outrageously delicious.
Not all lettuce types are born equal, and it’s important for this recipe that we have something sturdy enough to hold the teriyaki chicken filling. Iceberg lettuce is too flimsy to do the job, so romaine is our best bet.
This recipe uses a quick version of teriyaki glaze, but if you would prefer to make the real thing try making our homemade teriyaki sauce ahead of time. It only takes 15 minutes to make, but will need an hour to cool and thicken.
Is This Recipe Keto-Friendly?
The inclusion of soy sauce means that this recipe is not suitable for keto or gluten-free diets, however there are a number of soy-free store-bought teriyaki sauces out there to help. The best rated we can find is Coconut Secret’s Coconut Amino Teriyaki Sauce, which you can find here (Note: Amazon Link).
Chicken Teriyaki Lettuce Wraps [Easy Low-Carb Dinner]
- 1 lb chicken breasts diced into small pieces
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 red chilli deseeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- romaine lettuce
- sesame seeds (optional)
- 3 tbsp cashews roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- Heat coconut oil in a pan or skillet over medium heat. Add chicken pieces and cook for 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan still over medium heat, add the ginger, garlic and chilli to the pan and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously
- Add soy sauce and honey and stir well. Allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly to stop it from burning.
- Once the sauce starts to turn thick, add the chicken to the pan and stir the mix together. Cook for a further minute at medium-low and then remove the pan from the heat.
- Distribute the mix evenly across each of your lettuce cups, topping each one off with thinly sliced onion, cashews and sesame seeds. Pour any remaining suace over wraps for more flavor. Serve and enjoy.