Easy tofu scramble featuring kale, tomatoes, and turmeric. This simple vegan breakfast recipe is the best way to start your morning and only takes 20 minutes.
Attention breakfast lovers: This tofu scramble recipe is an easy alternative to traditional scrambled eggs that offers as much of the flavor but none of the eggs.
Using crumbled firm tofu, turmeric seasoning, and a dash of cashew milk, we can recreate everything that has made the breakfast classic a mainstay on so many breakfast menus.
Best of all, just like the egg version, this vegan breakfast is quick and easy to rustle up and gives you plenty of room to add whatever vegetables and spices you prefer. Let’s get into it!
Best Tofu to Use for Scramble
For the best results, always use firm or extra-firm tofu for vegan scramble. To achieve the egg-like consistency we want, we need our protein to be as moisture-free as possible. With its meat-like texture, firm tofu gives us the best chance of achieving this. It’s also the best type of tofu at absorbing flavor without breaking down.
Whatever you do, avoid silken tofu at all costs. It’s extremely high in water content and is too soft to use as an egg substitute in this context.
You can add more flavor to your recipe by adding seasonings such as garlic powder and ground spices. You can also add more flavor by adding fresh vegetables such as peppers. Spices and herbs used will depend on the exact type of flavor that you are looking to add.
You can also add a dash of vinegar or citrus juice. Vinegar will help brighten the dish and also give it a zing. The exact flavor will also depend on the type of vinegar that you use. You can also use cheese to make it more decadent tasting and gooey. The other option is to use shallots, in addition to the onions that you will be using in this recipe.
- 1 block extra-firm tofu pressed dry and cubed
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ red onion chopped
- 2 cups kale roughly chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes halved
- 2 green onions chopped
- Add the extra firm tofu cubes to a mixing bowl. Using a fork, mash the tofu into a scramble-like texture.
- Add turmeric, salt, and black pepper. Incorporate well.
- Heat oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped red onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the kale, green onion, and tomatoes. Heat for 2-3 minutes, until kale starts to wilt.
- Add tofu scramble and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly
- Serve immediately