Easy tofu hot dogs coated in a paprika and cumin batter and topped with plant-based pink coleslaw. This vegan-friendly take on the American classic is sweet, spicy, and ready in under 30 minutes.
Tofu hot dogs are a vegan alternative to traditional pork or beef hot dogs, typically made with a combination of tofu, vegetables, and spices and have a similar taste and texture to traditional hot dogs.
Firm tofu makes an excellent option for vegan diets because it provides ample protein – sometimes more than pork versions – while also free of cholesterol and low in fat.
This is one of our favorite vegan hot dog recipes, and it’s easy to see why. Discover how to make tofu hot dogs from scratch with our simple plant-based recipe.
Serving & Side Ideas
There are many ways to enjoy tofu hot dogs. Here are a few favorites:
- Condiments like yellow mustard, ketchup, and relish go excellent on a tofu hot dog. You can also get creative with other condiments like BBQ sauce or ranch dressing.
- Baked beans are a simple yet tasty side dish to serve with hot dogs. The sweet and savory flavors of the beans perfectly complement the flavors of the seasoned tofu.
- Pink coleslaw‘s cool and creamy flavors contrast well with the spices in the tofu hot dog. Make sure you get a plant-based version.
- Sweet potato fries have a slightly nutritional edge over regular fries and taste great. If you are on vegan diet, just make sure the fries are fried in vegetable oil instead of animal fat.
Tofu Hot Dogs
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu drained and pressed
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp celery seed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 hot dog buns
- 2 cups vegan pink coleslaw
- 4 tbsp yellow mustard
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the ketchup, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and celery seed
- Cut the tofu into 6 equal pieces lengthwise
- Add the tofu to the bowl with the ketchup mixture and stir gently until well coated
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add the tofu and cook for 5-7 minutes per side or until browned
- Serve on hot dog buns and enjoy
- If you want a spicier tofu hot dog, add more cayenne pepper to the ketchup mixture
- You can substitute hot dog buns for whole wheat or gluten-free buns if desired