This chocolate protein cake is gooey, deceptively healthy, and can be rustled up in just ten minutes. Find out how to make it with our protein lava cake recipe.
Despite having adopted a fair number of diets to help a range of purposes, from trimming for race day or even boosting my mental health, I’ve never been really been willing to completely curb my sweet tooth.
It’s a problem I know a lot of people share, so it’s a relief that recipes that are often thought of as decadent or indulgent can be adapted to be nutritious and protein-packed sources of energy.
Perhaps none more so than this protein molten lava chocolate cake.
I’ve seen similar recipes to this one published elsewhere online, listing it as a Valentine’s Day dessert and, while we’re a little late in the year for that, this one toes the line on the right side of indulgent-but-healthy to make it appropriate to have at any time of year.
While this recipe is gooey and rich like your normal run-of-the-mill lava cake, this version is much kinder in calories, is gluten-free and it packs in a nice punch of protein (10+ grams of the stuff!). It requires a couple of slightly more specific ingredients, but is more than worth the investment.
Plus, we’re using dark chocolate with this recipe and, unlike its fattier milk-based counterpart, dark chocolate has a ton of health benefits. From helping your cognitive function, to helping with pain relief, a little bit of the dark stuff goes a long way.
This recipe is almost suspiciously easy-to-make, taking barely 10 minutes from start to finish. I’ll let you be the judge of whether or not being able to prepare a chocolate dessert in such little time is either a blessing or a hazard…
It’s time for us to have our cake and eat it. Let’s get into it!
Protein Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
- ½ cup chocolate whey protein powder
- 3 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 2-3 tbsp plain coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup gluten-free oats
- 1 large egg
- Start by preheating your oven to 356°F/180°C
- Blend together all of the ingredients either in a food processor or in a large bowl with a hand blender. Blend until the ingredients form a creamy batter.
- Pour the mixture into your choice of either pre-buttered/greased souffle dishes or baking pods.
- Place the dishes or pods on a baking tray and then put in the oven. Cook for only 3-4 minutes, checking halfway to monitor how well cooked the top of your cakes are. Remember: It’s key that the middle stays gooey!
- Once ready, remove from the oven. Immediately (but carefully) turn them each upside down on to a plate, and remove from the pods/dishes.
- Either serve with your choice of ice cream or berries, or even just by themselves. Enjoy!