Salt and pepper chicken bites are a crispy appetizer that’s loaded with flavor. These freshly shredded chicken thighs are marinated, double-fried, and tossed in spice and seasoning to add layers of deliciousness at every opportunity.
This salt and pepper chicken is the perfect appetizer for you spice fans. Boasting juicy double-fried chicken thighs, this addictive finger food is ideal for parties and dinner platters.
The good news is that it takes under an hour to make from scratch, and can be easily tweaked to match your personal spice tolerance levels. Let’s get into this Chinese street food classic!
Salt & Pepper Chicken
- 12 skinless chicken thigh fillets cut into chunks or cubes
- 1 cup cornflour
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- ½ inch fresh ginger crushed
- 3 red chili peppers ends removed and sliced
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- ½ tsp Chinese 5-Spice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. Add chicken pieces and leave to marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Heat up oil in a wok over medium-high heat for frying. Heat to 350°F/180°C (use a kitchen thermometer)
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Coat each chicken piece in cornflour and add to wok and fry until golden brown. When done, remove the chicken and set to one side.
- Pour used oil from wok and reduce heat to medium-low. Add the garlic, ginger, yellow onion, chili peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken pieces back to wok, along with green onion slices and Chinese 5-Spice. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from wok. Toss in pepper salt and serve.