These jalapeño cheese bites are the perfect party snack and appetizer. They’re delicious and addictive, and always go down as a hit! They’re made with tortillas, cheddar, crème fraîche, chives and jalapeño.
After going through a bit of a healthy phase with my cooking, I’ve come out the other side craving something a little bit more decadent. Enter the perfect party snack in the form of these beautiful cheese jalapeño bites.
Take my warning though: The first time I made these, I made them as an appetiser before a large meal follow, but loved them so much that I cleaned up and couldn’t eat a single thing after. They’re the epitome of moreish.
This is a really straightforward dish to prepare, but if I were to give any tip at all then it would be to really ensure that you do chop the jalapeños as finely as possible. If you do them unevenly or too thickly then you’ll end up with some bites containing far more of a punch than others… which is one sure fire way to surprise your friends!
I’ve seen this recipe served alongside salsa for dipping, which you’ll see in the photo. While this does go fine together, I actually think that they’re beautiful enough on their own, and dipping them in salsa risks detracting from the flavours of the bites. I’ll leave that up to you though!
Anyway, I hope you really enjoy this party dish – so be sure to let me know what you think! And if you have any other takes on this recipe, or indeed anything similar, then let me know.
Cheese & Jalapeño Bites
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup pot reduced-fat crème fraîche
- 3 oz mild/strong cheddar grated
- ½ cup jalapeño peppers drained and finely chopped
- ⅔ oz chives finely chopped
- Pre-heat your oven to 280°F (140°C) if fan, or 320°F (160°C).
- Cut each of your tortillas into one-third slices from the centre, like a pizza or pie chart. Heat them in the microwave just for a minute to warm them up. In the meantime, put a sheet of baking/parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Roll each into a cone shape (try to be quick before they cool too much and set). Place the side with the loose edges down on the baking paper so that when they cook they won’t spring open. You might need you to pinch them slightly to properly seal them and prevent them from springing open.
- Bake them for 20-25 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- Mix the cheese, jalapenos, chives and creme fraiche together. Spoon the filling into the cones equally, and then scatter with any remaining chive that you have. Serve!