Grilled eggplant is a healthy and simple side dish that makes dinner on a budget easy. Crispy on the outside with a soft and creamy interior, it’s proof that a side dish can be the star of the show.
This recipe originally hails from Fiji and while coconut might not seem like the obvious thing to pair with eggplant or aubergine, it adds a beautifully delicate and sweet layer to the earthy tastes of the grilled vegetable.
This appetizer can be rustled up in just five or ten minutes, and will go well with almost any grilled dish you can think of.
I added a little sprinkle of chili to it because I like a subtle kick of spice, but if that’s not your thing then feel free to ditch that altogether. I recommend trying it the first time you make this though.
Simply chuck the slices on the grill, coat with a tiny bit of olive oil, and then serve up with a good helping of our coconut milk, lemon juice and chili sauce.
Grilled Eggplant with Coconut Sauce
- 4 large eggplants sliced
- ¾ can coconut milk
- 4 spring onions finely chopped
- 1 green chili very finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- vegetable oil
- kosher salt to taste
- Preheat the grill pan until it is very hot
- Place the aubergine slices on the grill, brush with oil then grill on one side for 4-5 minutes
- Turn the slices, brush with more oil and continue to cook for a further 4-5 minutes
- Meanwhile, place the lemon juice, coconut milk, onions, tomatoes, chili and salt in a small mixing bowl and blend well
- Cut the cooked eggplant slices into strips, place in a serving dish and pour the coconut milk mixture over the top. Serve immediately